1. To keep emails sounding friendly, you should use contractions.
2. What is a “dateline” in a press release?
- A separate line that includes the date you wrote the press release
- A line at the beginning of the press release that includes the city you are based in and the date of the press release
- It’s another word for a caption on a picture you might include in the press release
- The city you are based in
3. How long should your memo be?
- Ideally, no longer than 1 page
- 2-3 pages is standard
- Just one or two paragraphs
- As long as you need it to be
4. In business writing you should try to use gender neutral terms as often as possible.
5. What should you always include when writing a business email?
- Long list of recipients
6. Ideally, how long should your resume be?
- 2 pages
- 1 page
- As long as it needs to be
- Less than one page if possible
7. Never consider your resume to be _____.
- A foot in the door
- Akin to a phone call
- A job application
8. What piece of information should you always include in a resume, a thing which job seekers often forget?
- A job objective
- Your email
- Your cell phone number
- The best time to reach you
9. When you write a press release, you should think like what?
- A public relations person
- A journalist
- A CEO so you sound dignified and intelligent
10. You should always include a date by which you want a reply in a fundraising letter.
11. What one thing is more important than all others when writing for business?
- Proofreading your work
- Writing specifically to your reader
- Having perfect grammar and spelling
- Knowing how to “sell” through your words
12. Which of the following is the best use of active verbs?
- We tried to get the best deal
- We will try to get the best deal
- We sure tried to get the best deal
- We should try to get the best deal
13. In what kind of business letter should you include a catchy headline?
- Fundraising letter
- Complaint letter
- Sales letter
- “Seal a deal” letter
14. In the rough draft of your business report, you shouldn’t worry about what?
- How strong your voice is throughout
- Spelling and grammar
- Your facts
- Who your audience might be
15. What does “PAR” stand for?
16. It’s perfectly OK to mix fonts and point sizes when writing a sales letter.
17. A mailing list for email is almost always preferable to sending an email to each person individually.
18. When is it appropriate to send lewd jokes or pictures in a business email?
- When you know your office atmosphere encourages it
- When it’s sent to you from someone in the office, then it’s OK to forward it on
- Always, if your boss approves
19. It’s perfectly acceptable to have more than one resume, each targeted to different kinds of jobs you are looking for.
- 20. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a job objective is useful?
- It helps human resources workers appropriately direct your resume.
- You tell your potential employer which job you are best suited for
- You get a chance to highlight your relevant experience and training
- You have a chance to present yourself as capable, confident and employable
21. What should be your “voice” in a business letter?
- First person
- Third person
- There should not be a discernible voice
22. What should you do if you are asked to include your opinion or interpretation in a business report?
- Include it in a separate section right after the table of contents or executive summary
- Keep that part separate from the main body of the report
- Leave it out; your opinion doesn’t matter
23. If your memo is very long, you should include what?
- A table of contents
- A summary at the bottom of the memo
- A second page
- An elevator summary at the top
24. A business memo should always start how?
- The date
- With pertinent business right at the top
- A greeting or salutation
- With a little introductory paragraph
25. What are you appealing to while writing a fundraising letter?
- Your recipient’s wallet
- Your recipient’s charitable spirit
- The bottom line
- The heart
26. What is a comma splice?
- When you place a comma where a semicolon or period should be
- When you place a comma in the wrong place, between a verb and noun, for example
- When you use a semicolon where a comma should be
- When you don’t use a comma at all when one clearly should be used
27. What kind of letter does not follow a standard business letter format?
- Fundraising letter
- Sales letter
- Complaint letter
- Any letter to a customer or client
28. Under no circumstances should you fire someone in email.
29. In the block business letter format, all writing is flush left, even your return address information.
30. What is the best approach while including an attachment with your email?
- Keep it short, under 2 pages
- Inform the reader in the body of the email that you are including an attachment
- Make sure it’s in Word or other format everyone can read
- Send it in a separate email
31. Memos can save ____
- Aggravation and unhappiness in an office
- Time spent going to meetings
- On postage
32. Where does a memo rank in formality?
- Memos should always be formal and professional
- Memos are always the least formal of all business writing
- More formal than a business letter
- Less formal than a business letter but more formal than an email
33. In the first complaint letter you write (and you might end up writing more than one on the same topic), what should you keep out of it?
- A suggestion as to how you want to be compensated for your loss, trouble, etc.
- Anger and frustration
- Supporting details.
- Any personal information
34. You should always sign your business memos.
35. “He ran.” is considered a complete sentence.
36. Which of these is an optional item to include in a business report?
- Title page
- Table of contents
37. Why should you always send your emails in text format?
- It’s easier and faster for you
- It looks more professional
- Some people don’t like html formats
- Some email programs “read” html formatted emails differently
38. What should you avoid when sending emails to a group of people on a mailing list?
- A very long email
- Discussion of personal issues
- Addressing anyone by name
39. What one action should you perform again and again when writing for business?
- Good quality research
- Let others read your writing
- Say “thank you” many times
40. It’s never appropriate to use the body of an email as your cover letter.
41. What is an elevator summary when referring to email?
- A brief, one-line summary of the basic facts
- A small box you create in the text of the email to give the facts
- It’s a summary of the email – basically the amount of information you’d be able to give someone during a ride in an elevator
- A bulleted list that moves through the email
42. You should always keep your verbs in the _____ tense.
43. A run-on sentence is always incorrect.
44. You should always try to read your writing out loud if you can.
45. Which is the most popular format for business letters?
- Summary format
1,854 total views, 4 views today