1. Which among the following is also known as croning process in which cast parts are produced with dimensional tolerances as low as ±0.2 millimeters.
- Centrifugal casting
- Investment casting
- Slush casting
- Shell casting
2. Calculate the moment of a 20 newtons force at 10 meters perpendicular distance from the point about which the moment is required.
- 200 newton meters
- 100 newton meters
- 150 newton meters
- 250 newton meters
3. Which of the following devices is used for atomizing and vaporizing the fuel before mixing it with air in varying proportions?
- Spark plug
4. If Q is energy, W is external work done and E is internal energy then, According to the first law of thermodynamics, energy Q is equal to:
- Q = W + E
- Q = W – E
- Q = W / E
- Q = W x E
5. Which branch of engineering mechanics deals with the force which acts upon bodies at rest?
6. Calculate the centrifugal force for a body moving in a circular path, given that the mass of the body is 10 kilogram, its angular velocity is 10 radians per second and the radius of the circular path is 10 meters.
- 30000 newtons
- 10000 newtons
- 20000 newtons
- 15000 newtons
7. Which among the following is the correct range of value for the included angle of a V-belt?
- 10º to 20º
- 30º to 40º
- 70º to 80º
- 100º to 120º
8. Which among the following is a spring controlled governor?
- Watt governor
- Porter governor
- Hartnell governor
9. Which among the following plant layout is known as ‘functional layout’ or ‘analytical layout’?
- Process layout
- Product layout
- Fixed position layout
10. Which among the following types of chips is usually produced during the machining of brittle materials?
- Discontinuous chips
- Continuous chips with no built up edges
- Continuous chips with built up edges
11. According to the Boyle’s law:
- pressure is directly proportional to volume.
- pressure is inversely proportional to volume.
- temperature is directly proportional to volume.
- temperature is inversely proportional to volume.
12. The compression ratio of a diesel engine is:
- 10 to 15
- 15 to 25
- 40 to 50
- 50 to 60
13. Calculate the specific heat of a gas at constant volume, given that the mass of the gas is 100 kilograms, the initial temperature of the gas is 20 kelvins and the final temperature of the gas is 50 kelvins. The total heat supplied to the gas is 105 kilojoules.
- 30 joules per kg per kelvin
- 35 joules per kg per kelvin
- 40 joules per kg per kelvin
- 45 joules per kg per kelvin
14. The petrol engine works on ___________.
- Rankine cycle
- Otto cycle
- Diesel cycle
15. In which, among the following systems, does no heat or work cross its boundary?
- Closed system
- Isolated system
- Open system
16. A couple of two bodies produces which type of motion?
- Rotational motion
- Translatory motion
- Rotational and translatory motion
17. Up to which point in a stress-strain curve is Hooke’s law applicable?
- Yield point
- Elastic limit
- Plastic limit
- Breaking point
18. A solar collector receiving solar radiation at the rate of 0.6 kW/m2 transforms it into the internal energy of a fluid at an overall efficiency of 50%. The fluid heated to 350 K is used to run a heat engine which rejects heat at 313 K. If the heat engine is to deliver 2.5 kW power, the minimum area (in sq. meters) of the solar collector required would be:
19. In which type of welding is a mixture of Iron oxide and Aluminum used?
- Metal inert gas welding
- Tungsten inert gas welding
- Submerged arc welding
- Thermit welding
- Stud arc welding
20. The forces which meet at one point but whose lines of action lie on different points are known as ______________.
- Co-planar concurrent forces
- Co-planar non-concurrent forces
- Non co-planar concurrent forces
- Non co-planar non-concurrent forces
21. Calculate the value of crippling load of a specimen, given that the crushing stress is 160 newtons per square meter, cross sectional area is 80 square millimeters, Rankine’s constant is 1, length of column is 1 millimeter and the value of radius of gyration is also 1.
22. How many revolutions of crankshaft does it take to complete one working cycle in a four stroke engine?
23. Which type of thread is used in bench vices in manufacturing units?
- Acme thread
- Buttress thread
- Knuckle thread
- Square thread
24. Which type of sand is used on the face of the pattern before molding?
- Parting sand
- Core sand
- Loam sand
- Floor sand
- Backing sand
25. In which, among the following governing methods, is a control valve fitted in the fuel delivery pipe in order to control the quantity of fuel mixed in the charge?
- Hit and miss governing
- Qualitative governing
- Quantitative governing
- Combination system of governing
26. In which among the following wage incentive plans is the worker paid according to the number of units of work produced by him?
- Straight piece work system
- Halsey plan
- Rowan plan
- Gantt plan
27. In which, among the following engine strokes, is the firing of the vaporized fuel carried out?
- suction stroke
- expansion stroke
- exhaust stroke
- compression stroke
28. The process to improve the fatigue resistance in metals by producing compressive stresses in its surface is known as ________.
- cold peening
- cold bending
- cold spinning
- cold extrusion
29. Due to which of the following properties does molding sand adhere to the sides of the molding box?
30. Calculate the number of joints in a chain if the number of links is 5.
31. Calculate the strain in a material whose original length before undergoing strain is 10 centimeters and the length after undergoing strain is 100 centimeters.
32. What is the significance of the above given symbol in work study technique?
- Inspection of materials
- Transport of materials
- Storage of materials
- Operation of materials
33. In which, among the following scavenging methods, are the inlet and the outlet ports situated on the same side of the engine cylinder?
- Loop scavenging method
- Uniflow scavenging method
- Crossflow scavenging method
34. The resultant of two forces A and B is Q. If A is doubled and the new resultant is perpendicular to A, then:
35. Calculate the mechanical efficiency of an engine whose brake power is 20 watts and indicated power is 40 watts.
36. ___________ is an opening through the cope.
37. If the motion between a pair takes place in more than one direction, then this kind of motion is termed as ___________.
- completely constrained motion
- incompletely constrained motion
- successfully constrained motion
38. The work measurement technique is concerned with:
- the time during which maximum production is done.
- the time during which no production is done.
- the processes to simplify the production work.
- the development of economical methods of carrying out production work.
39. What is the value of universal gas constant in SI units?
- 8.314 joules per kilogram mole kelvin
- 83.14 joules per kilogram mole kelvin
- 831.4 joules per kilogram mole kelvin
- 8314 joules per kilogram mole kelvin
40. A process in which gas is heated such that the product of its pressure and volume remains constant is known as _______.
- isochoric process
- isobaric process
- isothermal process
- hyperbolic process
41. Which type of welding is obtained if there is an excess of acetylene?
- Neutral flame
- Oxidizing flame
- Reducing flame
42. In a simple harmonic motion, number of cycles produced per second is known as:
- periodic time.
43. Calculate the frictional power of an engine if the indicated power is 10 watts and the brake power is 5 watts.
- 5 watts
- 2 watts
- 0.5 watts
- 15 watts
44. The allowance provided on patterns which are used for castings in which contraction is not uniform is known as _________.
- shaking allowance
- camber allowance
- machining allowance
- contraction allowance
- draft allowance
45. If we have to choose a grinding wheel having the least hardness, which grade of grinding wheel should be chosen?
- Grade A to H
- Grade I to P
- Grade Q to Z
46. Calculate the torque for a solid shaft having a radius of 10 millimeters and torsional shear stress of 112 newtons per square millimeter.
- 175000 newton millimeters
- 175840 newton millimeters
- 174840 newton millimeters
- 176800 newton millimeters
47. _____________ is the operation of enlarging a previously drilled hole.
48. Two springs having stiffness 5 and 10 respectively are connected in series. Calculate the combined stiffness of the two springs.
49. What is the value of entropy of a substance at absolute zero temperature?
50. If M – bending moment, I – moment of inertia, E – young’s modulus of elasticity and R – radius of curvature then, which of the following is the correct bending equation for a beam?
- M/I = R/E
- I/M = R/E
- M/I = E/R
51. The milling operation of producing surfaces of irregular shape is known as:
- Plain milling
- Side milling
- End milling
- Form milling
- Gang milling
52. What effect does the grain size of a cutting tool have on the tool life?
- Tool life increases
- Tool life decreases
- Grain size has no effect on tool life
53. Within which angular range is the shear stress maximum if a body is subjected to tensile stress in one plane?
- 45º and 135º
- 50º and 175º
- 40º and 130º
- 55º and 180º
54. _______________ is a beam having its end portion extended beyond the support.
- Cantilever beam
- Simply supported beam
- Overhanging beam
- Continuous beam
55. ___________ is that type of motion in which there is reduction in amplitude over every cycle of vibration.
- Forced vibration
- Damped vibration
- Longitudinal vibration
- Transverse vibration
56. Calculate the circular pitch of a gear whose pitch circle diameter is 12.74 millimeters and the number of teeths on gear wheel are 20.
- 2 millimeters
- 3 millimeters
- 4 millimeters
- 5 millimeters
57. The shortest time in which an activity can be completed is known as:
- optimistic time
- most likely time
- pessimistic time
58. Which type of organization among the following has a straight flow of authority within a single unit?
- Line organization
- Functional organization
- Line and staff organization
- Line, staff and functional organization
59. The smallest circle drawn to the cam profile is known as ________.
- base circle
- pitch circle
- prime circle
60. Calculate the coefficient of friction of a body whose limiting friction of which is 10 newtons and the value of the normal reaction is 5.
61. Calculate the angular velocity of a body whose rotations per minute is 60.
- 6 radians per second
- 8 radians per second
- 7.60 radians per second
- 5.68 radians per second
62. In a programmed evaluation and review technique, if the slack of an activity is negative, then what can be stated for the project completion?
- Completion of the project is not delayed.
- Additional resources are required to complete the project in time.
- Completion of the project is delayed.
63. __________ is the angle made by the face of the tool and the parallel plane to the base of the cutting tool.
- Lip angle
- Rake angle
- Side relief angle
- End relief angle
64. What type of gear is used to transmit power at constant velocity ratio between two shafts the axes of which intersect at an angle?
- Helical gear
- Bevel gear
- Worm gear
- Rack and pinion gear
65. Which technique among the following is known as ‘time phase of loading’.
66. The process of heating the metal to the plastic state followed by application of pressure to form the molten metal into desired shape is known as ________.
- hot forging
- hot piercing
- hot drawing
- hot extrusion
67. The radius of a shaft is 5 millimeters. The shear stress on that shaft is 50 newtons per square millimeter and the polar moment of inertia is 10 (millimeters)4. Calculate the twisting moment on that shaft.
- 100 newton millimeters
- 200 newton millimeters
- 150 newton millimeters
- 250 newton millimeters
68. If L is the length of the journal and d is the diameter of the journal then, in a square bearing:
- L = d
- L ≠ d
- L + d = 1
- L = 1 + d
69. The bolt and nut is an example of a:
- turning pair
- rolling pair
- screw pair
- spherical pair
70. In involute gears the pressure angle __________ as the gear engages or disengages.
- remains constant
71. The broaching operation in which the workpiece moves across the stationary tool is known as _______.
- surface broaching
- continuous broaching
- pull broaching
- push broaching
72. Calculate the coefficient of friction of a body whose limiting friction is 10 newtons and the value of the normal reaction is 5.
73. The ability of a material to embed small particles of dust, grit etc. is known as ___________.
74. A jig is a device which is used to:
- hold a workpiece.
- hold and locate a workpiece.
- hold and locate a workpiece as well as guide and control cutting tools.
- hold a workpiece as well as guide and control cutting tools.
75. What is the value of the point angle of a twist drill?
76. Calculate the economic order quantity of a plant in which the total raw material utilized per year is 1600 tonnes, procurement cost per order is $1000 and the annual inventory carrying cost per item is $10.
2,344 total views, 4 views today